Glyde House, Glydegate, Bradford BD5 0BQ
The Topic Folk Club
Constitution and Rules
The society shall be called “The Topic Folk Club” and shall meet in the metropolitan District of Bradford each week, or at times arranged by the committee.
The aims of the society are to encourage the study and performance of folk music.
• All persons over the age of sixteen are eligible for membership.
• The annual subscription shall be due and payable on the 1st January each year.
• The Committee shall have the power to suspend or expel any member who shall infringe the rules, or whose conduct on the club premises has, in their opinion been prejudicial to the interests of the society.
• The business of the society shall be conducted by a secretary, a treasurer and a committee of six other members.
• Any officer may be removed by resolution at an Extraordinary General Meeting.
5 Election of Officers
• The committee of the society shall consist of no more than eight members to be elected at the Annual General Meeting. The officers of the committee shall be decided amongst the elected committee at the first meeting after the AGM.
• Written nominations, proposed and seconded, with the nominees consent shall be handed to the secretary at least seven days before the AGM.
• All the officers shall continue in office until the next AGM
• The committee shall have the power to draw up the rules for voting at elections.
• The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the society
• The Treasurer shall submit a monthly balance sheet to the committee.
• The secretary shall call a committee meeting each month, and at other times as necessary: and a special meeting at the request of the committee or upon a requisition stating the purpose of such a meeting signed by no fewer than one fifth of the members
• Any member of the committee shall be deemed to have vacated his/her seat if absent for more than three consecutive meetings of the committee without satisfactory justification.
• Vacancies shall be filled by co-opting members, so long as these members are approved by a majority of the committee.
• Any four members shall form a quorum, and shall have full power to conduct the business of the club.
• The chairman of the meeting shall be elected at that meeting and shall have the casting vote.
9 Annual General Meeting
• The AGM will be held during the month of November.
• Fourteen days notice of any AGM, stating the business to be transacted shall be given by notice displayed at the society’s premises
• An account and balance sheet of the affairs of the society shall be presented to the members at the AGM
• The meeting shall be quorate if 10 members or one fifth of the membership, whichever is least are present (as amended AGM 19/11/2012 at Bradford Irish Club).
10 Alteration of the rules
No alteration in or addition to the rules of the society, shall be made except at a general Meeting. Such amendments must be approved by two thirds majority of those present.
11 Winding up of the society
If the society should close down for any reason, any assets of the society shall be realised and donated to a suitable charity to be decided by the members at an Extraordinary General Meeting, all members to be invited to attend with fourteen days notice.